After my first experiment with the double-cut alphabet dies I had enough pieces left over to make another thank you sentiment; all I had to do was come up with a card to put it on. Cue more experimenting, this time with the new Distress oxide ink pads.
I remembered seeing a video of Tim Holtz demonstrating his new stamp platform by creating a controlled watercolour effect with a butterfly stamp and I thought I’d start by doing something similar. What I didn’t remember at the time was that he was using Distress markers (which I don’t have). But I do have a MISTI, a layering butterfly and a set of Distress oxides so I recreated the effect with those: dabbing ink onto small parts of the stamp, wiping off the excess, spritzing with water, stamping, and repeating until happy. I stamped the outline in archival ink to add some definition back and used a white Sharpie to clean up the edges.
For the background, I started by stencilling some roses and leaves around the butterfly with the oxides and then spritzed them with water (shielding the butterfly so it didn’t blend any more). I liked the effect, but it was a little too undefined, so I repeated the stencilling, this time using regular Distress inks. I tied it all together by blending a little green over the remaining white space.
I die-cut the scalloped edge and glued the double-cut thank you along the curve. Finally I mounted the panel on a card base and blended a little more Distress ink over the bottom corners.
Concord & 9th – butterfly beauty
Concord & 9th – double cut alphabet
My Favorite Things – stitched scallop basic edges
Tim Holtz – THS075 roses
Distress oxides – wilted violet, broken china, cracked pistachio, spiced marmalade
Distress oxides – worn lipstick, peeled paint
Distress ink pads – worn lipstick, peeled paint
Ranger – archival – jet black
Sharpie – extra fine paint pen – white
- paper and card:
Distress watercolour cardstock
Papermill Direct – smooth – spring green