Series: Wanderlust 2021 #29
A few weeks ago, as we were approaching half way through the Wanderlust year, a survey about the course dropped into my inbox. Filling it in got me to thinking about how I was feeling about doing it this year and looking back at the projects I completed when I did it in 2019.
I feel like I’ve been running out of steam. To be fair, I did stop about this time in 2019 too (I think I got sidetracked by starting on Christmas cards then). But this time it’s not so much that there are other things I want to be doing, it’s more that the projects aren’t inspiring me at the moment.
There have definitely been pieces that I’ve enjoyed making and where I like the end result, but a lot of it is feeling very samey with a technique or style shoehorned into an interpretation of the theme. And looking back at 2019, by this time there had been four projects that didn’t live in an art journal — this is the first one this year.
And I do quite like this one. I’ve not come across this way of assembling a booklet before and it was nice to get my Distress Oxides out for a change. And I finally got to use that set of First Edition border dies that have been sitting unused for quite a while. Of course, the downside to making a booklet is that there are so many surfaces to cover 🙂 It did take a while to make but it was fun to do. All the stamps and stencils are from Visible Image and I threw in some elements from my Experiment linocut test prints.
So I’ve made a decision. I shall continue with Wanderlust this year, and I shall make a point of watching all the class videos, but if a class doesn’t inspire me I shall skip it and go do something else instead.