Lino print: Experiment

I had only done one proper linocut (rather than stamp carving) before I made this one in June last year.

I was prompted, quite literally, to do it by the announcement of that month’s printing prompt from Handprinted (a UK shop dedicated to all supplies print-related) over on Instagram. The theme was experiment.

the design
the colour block
the black block

I went a bit literal with the design, but there is also a lot of experimenting going on here.

  • This is only my second proper linocut so it’s all still experimenting really.
  • It’s the first time I’ve used lettering in a design.
  • It’s the first time I’ve done a two-colour print
  • And it’s the first time I’ve used the neat registration device from Laura Boswell.

I posted the test print on Instagram, meaning to tidy up a few bits and do a handful of final prints. I finished doing all that in July this year… Everything gets done eventually.

I’ve learned a lot making these; they’re far from perfect, but I recognise the issues, know why they happened and can hopefully avoid making the same mistakes next time.

I could work on this more, but I’ve reached the point where I want to go create a new design now.

2 thoughts on “Lino print: Experiment”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.