I had only done one proper linocut (rather than stamp carving) before I made this one in June last year.
I was prompted, quite literally, to do it by the announcement of that month’s printing prompt from Handprinted (a UK shop dedicated to all supplies print-related) over on Instagram. The theme was experiment.
I went a bit literal with the design, but there is also a lot of experimenting going on here.
- This is only my second proper linocut so it’s all still experimenting really.
- It’s the first time I’ve used lettering in a design.
- It’s the first time I’ve done a two-colour print
- And it’s the first time I’ve used the neat registration device from Laura Boswell.
I posted the test print on Instagram, meaning to tidy up a few bits and do a handful of final prints. I finished doing all that in July this year… Everything gets done eventually.
I’ve learned a lot making these; they’re far from perfect, but I recognise the issues, know why they happened and can hopefully avoid making the same mistakes next time.
I could work on this more, but I’ve reached the point where I want to go create a new design now.