I love how this card turned out because, for once, it actually turned out just the way I wanted it to.
The thing that took the longest was finding the right flower stamp to fit the design I had in mind and then flipping the design because my original sketch had the flower curving the other way… though waiting for the crackle paste to dry came a close second. And I had to make my own stencil for the vase — even with a fresh blade it’s a pain to cut acetate cleanly.
I smooshed watercolour paint on the background behind where the vase would go. Once that was dry, I stamped the flower and then applied the crackle paste through the vase stencil and left that to dry naturally — crackle paste is one of those things that you just can’t speed up (apparently, I’ve never actually tried using a heat gun on it, I must have a go sometime, see exactly how it affects the result).
The crackle vase turned out as well as I could have hoped. I did add a tiny bit of Inktense colour over the top to tone down the bright white finish and I also added a thin layer of gel medium to protect the crackle as it was going to be sent in the post.
I coloured the flowers with Inktense pencils and added little dots of copper to the tips of the stamens. I grounded the vase with a line of black Stabilo All pencil which I blended out with water.
After adding the sentiment, I trimmed the panel down, added a score line down each vertical edge, and finished it off with a thin strip of purple card.
QoR watercolours – dioxazine purple
Stuart Semple – copper
Derwent Inktense – 0800 violet, 0740 mauve, 1500 field green, 1600 leaf green, 2020 indian ink
Stabilo All – black
Clearly Besotted – fresh flowers
Altenew – birthday greetings
handmade vase stencil
Versafine – onyx black, smokey grey
DecoArt Media – crackle paste
- paper and card:
Clairefontaine Paint On – white 250gsm
Hunkydory Adorable Scorable
scrap of purple card
gloss gel medium