This started out as an experiment, one of those “see a technique, try it” self-contained experiments that have no purpose other than to have a go at something. Of course, me being me, I couldn’t leave a perfectly good bit of string art sitting unused for long.
The string art is in four colours — not from any well thought out plan, but because I decided to use embroidery floss from a bundle I had acquired at some point (I suspect it was for braiding friendship bracelets) and that is how long the pieces were. Luckily I happened to start with the darkest of the greens so I ended up with a nice gradient.
I used Zig markers and a bit of water to add some matching colour around the string edges.
The flower was die-cut from fabric. The centre layer is from a very old piece of gold-coloured leather that was then tinted with Copic marker. The other layers were cut from patterned cotton treated with Terial Magic, which stiffens the fabric and minimises fraying.
I mounted the flower over the top of some skeleton leaves. It needed something more on the background though, so I daubed Distress ink through a faux cross-stitch screen to give a bit of texture and added some coloured drops.
Dreamweaver – faux cross-stitch screen
- Zig Clean Colour Real Brush markers:
045 pale green, 047 may green, 036 light blue, 051, lemon yellow
Tonic Nuvo – jewel drops – key lime
- paper and card:
Papermill Direct – luxury artist watercolour
Hunkydory Adorable Scorable – evergreen
This card was created in September 2017
1 thought on “String art and flower”
Oh this turned out so cute! I remember doing string art a long time ago…nice touch to the card! 🙂