Thanks: Split bouquet

split bouquet

For this Copic Jumpstart homework, Sandy challenged us to get our flower stamps out. Rather than trying to create loads of dimension on each petal, I chose to go with the more pastel approach, mainly because I usually go for stronger colours and contrast and I wanted to stretch myself by doing something out of my comfort zone.

How:

I started by choosing some nice light peachy orange colours for the dahlia petals. For each petal, I laid down some colourless blender around the edge to soften the transition from white to orange and added the darkest colour at the base of the petal. I picked some light pinks for the small flowers and buds and, again, left a touch of white on the edges. I kept the colouring of the leaves really simple; the smallest were a single colour, the larger ones were two with minimal blending. A pale blue outline finished off the colouring.

split bouquet - whole

Then I had to decide what to do with the finished bouquet. Sandy split hers in half and created a horizontal arrangement; I decided to be brave and cut mine up too, trimming it to fit in the corners of my card. First I fussy cut the flowers and quickly realised that they would need something to set them off from anything other than a plain dark background, so I layered them on to some purple paper and fussy cut that too. Then, with a very steady hand and a light touch, I cut it in two with a craft knife and trimmed enough off each piece to create a clean corner with no visible mat.

I die cut the “thanks” three times from dark blue, purple and white card. I used the same orangey colours to create a gradient on the white one. To make it easier to blend smoothly, I put the “thanks” back into the die cut negative, giving me a flat surface to colour across. I layered the three pieces together, slightly offset to create a shadow effect.

Once I’d chosen some patterned paper for the background, I added that to the card base and glued the flowers in place. I cut a strip of vellum to go behind the sentiment and added that with some vellum tape runner; it’s not completely invisible behind the vellum, but it’s definitely good enough as long as you run it evenly along the full length of an edge.

I glued the “thanks” on with some Ranger multi medium matte and left it to dry with a weight on it. My trusty agate bookends may be overkill, but they do a great job of flattening things while glue dries. The last touch was to add a scattering of mixed size sequins across the card.

split bouquet - detail

Class:

Copic Jumpstart class

Supplies:

  • stamps:
    WPlus9 – beautiful bouquets: dahlia
  • dies:
    Lil Inker – thanks
  • inks:
    Memento – tuxedo black
  • Copic markers:
    orange flowers – 0, E50, YR20, YR82
    pink flowers – 0, R00, R30, R20
    leaves – YG0000, YG11
    leaves – G20
    leaves – G00
    background – B0000
    thanks – 0, E50, YR20, YR82
  • embellishments:
    Pretty Pink Posh – sequins – sparkling clear mix
  • paper and card:
    Neenah – solar white – 216gsm
    Paperchase – spectrascope card – purple
    My Favorite Things – paper pad – tranquil textures
    Hunkydory – adorable scorable
    Dovecraft – premium vellum
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s