In an ultimately vain attempt to avoid constantly running behind on the class schedule, I decided to temporarily skip the steampunk theme which has some quite time-consuming lessons in it and jump to the Floral theme. I did succeed in doing two lessons on the weekend they were made accessible, but then… I keep getting distracted by other things — the Daily Marker colouring challenge, birthday cards to be made, and even non-art-related things — I am destined to be constantly playing catch up and I just have to accept that.
The inky part of this lesson didn’t really work as planned — the idea was that the ink should mix in with the paint a bit, but everything just dried too quickly. I don’t know whether it would work better using standard rather than fluid acrylics, or whether I was just working too slowly — I don’t rush at anything — it certainly wasn’t because the British weather is too hot and dry… Either way, I still like the result.
I’m still learning how to mix acrylics on the page so I was pleasantly surprised at how well the shading on the vase came out. If I ever get around to trying this again (oh so many things on the “must give it a go” list), I would add more flowers, but other than that, this definitely goes in the success pile.